Adventures in Reading
The mission of the Monrovia Elementary School Media Center is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information!
- To instill in students a desire to be life-long readers and to have the ability to search for answers independently in the Media Center.
- To acquire and maintain a balanced collection of media center resources, which represent a wide range of subjects, levels of difficulty and formats.
- To provide learning experiences which encourage students to become proficient users of information and technology.
- To support the Monrovia Elementary curriculum and the teachers’ classroom programs by providing necessary materials and appropriate guidance and instruction to students.
- One School One Book- Each student family receives a copy of a selected novel to read at home as a family. At school, students celebrate and explore the novel with their classmates. The program reinforces reading instruction, increases parental involvements, and builds a sense of community!
- Read Across America Week- A week dedicated to reading which begins on the birthday of beloved author, Dr. Seuss. Various events including dress up days occur at school in celebration.
- Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI)- A reading assessment program that measures students' level of reading comprehension and reports is using the Lexile Framework for Reading. Students with the most SRI points at the end of the year, earn an award.
- Hoosier Book Award- 4th and 5th grade students who read all 20 books on the nomination list for the school year receive an achievement award.